The free pattern and tutorial for the Cotton Aztec Rug are here!
It's been a while since I posted a crochet pattern and this one took some work, but I'm happy to share. I love most of the bohemian and aztec patterns that are so popular right now and I think this rug fits right in with that style.
So read on for pictures and a written pattern. Please don't distribute or post the complete pattern without permission. thank you, thank you, thank you!
Yarn: Worsted Weight Cotton Double Strand: 6- 2.5 oz skeins
(I used Lily Sugar 'n Cream "Beach Glass" and Peaches 'n Cream "Mint")
Hook: J/ 10 6.00MM
dc= double crochet
sc= single crochet
approx. 20 1/2 x 39 inches
Using two strands of yarn together, ch. 49
Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook (beginning chains count as dc). Dc in each ch across turn. (46dc)
Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as dc).
- Dc in next 3 sts. Ch 2, skip next 2 sts (5 & 6). Dc in next st (7), creating a square hole.
- Dc in each st across up until st 41. Ch 2, skip next 2 sts (41 & 42). Dc in next st (43) and in each st to the end of the row.
- Turn. (one square hole on each end four sts in)
Row 3: Ch 3 (counts as dc).
- Dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in ch 2 sp from 1st row. Ch 2, skip next 2 sts (7 & 8). Dc in next st (9), creating a square hole.
- Dc in each st across up until before st 39. Ch 2, skip next 2 sts (39 & 40). 2 dc in ch 2 space from previous row and dc and in each st to the end of the row.
- Turn. (one square hole on each end six sts in)
Row 4-15: Repeat Row 3, except skip the following stitches to create square holes in the following order:
Row 4: Skip (9 &10) then (37 & 38)
Row 5: Skip (11 & 12) then (35 &36)
Row 6:Skip (13 &14) then (33 &34)
Row 7: Skip (15 &16) then (31 &32)
Row 8: Skip (17 & 18) then (29 &30)
Row 9: Skip (19 & 20) then (27 & 28)
Row 10: Skip (17 & 18) then (29 &30)
Row 11: Skip (15 &16) then (31 &32)
Row 12: Skip (13 &14) then (33 &34)
Row 13: Skip (11 & 12) then (35 &36)
Row 14: Skip (9 &10) then (37 & 38)
Row 15: Skip (7&8) then (39 &40)
* Repeat rows 2-15 two more times. (43 rows total)
Row 44: Repeat Row 2.
Row 45: Ch 3 (counts as dc). Dc in each st across, making 2 dc in each ch 2 space. (46 dc)
Tie off, but do not cut yarn.
- Ch 1, turn, then sc in each st across the tops side. 3sc in the corner.
- Continue on to long side, 2sc in each dc space, 3 sc in the corner. You should end up with about 89 sc in the long side.
- Repeat for the next two sides.
- Slip stitch into beginning ch 1.
Ch 1, sc in each st around, working 2 sc in each corner sc.
Slip stitch into beginning ch 1.
Row 3- Bobbles:
- Ch 3, 3 dc in 3rd ch from hook, holding back last stitch of each dc on your hook. 4 loops on hook.
- Yarn over and pull through all the 4 loops on your hook. You now have one cluster stitch.
- Ch 3, work a second cluster stitch in the look that closed the first cluster stitch.
- Slip stitch in the beginning of the first cluster stitch to join the two clusters together.
- Ch 3, skip 3 sts, sc in next st.
- Repeat bobbles, skipping only 2 sts in between until the end. Skip 3 sts at the end of the top side. (17 bobbles). Tie off and weave in ends.
Join yarn to bottom edge and repeat row 3 along that edge. Tie off and weave in ends.